Writing Prompts to Improve Your Health & Happiness in 2019
Connect with Healing U.
A big key to health & happiness is being intentional. Taking radical personal responsibility and intentionally planning what you are going to invest mental, emotional and physical energy in will improve your health (& happiness & relationships & career & joy).
You are the healer you’ve been waiting for.
If you’ve followed me for a while, you know at the end of each year, I plan, I reflect, I create intentions. 2019 planning has been in full swing over here for a few weeks. It takes time, truth and stretching myself.
The best part of my planning the past few years has been that I have NOT had to focus so much on my health. My health is good, on auto-drive, in part, because I’ve been doing this practice of intentionality for the last several years. I know how to take care of myself. I know what my body needs to thrive. What used to be lists of wishes are now daily habits.
Intention ignites change. Action, accountability, and truth-telling transform health & happiness. Since we are in this healing game together, I am sharing the process I use to get clear on my health goals. I have used this approach to help improve digestion, lose weight, lower anxiety, improve trust, increase energy, move more, eat healthier and have healthier relationships.
You can use this for ALL areas of your life (career, joy, time, friendships, etc.). It has transformed all those areas of life for me too!
Here are the prompts I use to encourage reflection:
Start with reflecting on the year coming to a close, 2018:
- List all 2018 success (all of them, girl, BRAG!).
- List anywhere you fell short.
- To what do you owe your successes & failures?
- What are you unsettled about?
- In 2018, what worked? What did not work?
- What did you learn?
- What are you grateful for?
- What do you want to offer forgiveness for?
Write, start, stop, take breaks, come back, edit, add more, take out. Remember, it’s progress, not perfection. Then…
When you feel ready, move onto dreaming for 2019.
- What would bring joy and excitement to experience and accomplish in 2019? Make it a stretch – dream big!
- What areas of your life do you want to focus on for 2019?
- What are your dreams in each of these areas? How would each area look and feel if you reached your goal? Write this in present tense, and don’t write anything negative in the dream (about yourself, the process or anyone else) and make it a stretch.
- What are specific, measurable steps and actions that would allow you to reach your goals?
- Who can keep you accountable to your dreams and goals?
When you complete the process, reach out to that friend, co-worker or family member that can help keep you accountable. You may ask them if they want to answer the prompts above too, then set up a time to read each other’s answers. I do this with several friends and find it such a meaningful way to connect, celebrate and encourage each other. Be sure to share specifically what you want to be held accountable to in 2019 and how you will check in.
Remember, YOU are the healer you’ve been waiting for. Taking radical responsibility & claiming your power is the way you self-heal.